Friday, June 8, 2007

Thoughts on iPhone

Ok, so the iPhone is supposed to be all that. But will it be? I don't think so. I think it will most definitely be the most awesome phone on the planet. But for sure Apple cut some corners. 4, and 8 gigabytes? That is way too small to replace my iPod for sure. And that is just music. If this is going to be a revolutionary post-PC device, running a full version of OSX, hold your videos, well, i need at least 40 gigabytes. I do not remember details, but I know that about a week or a month after Apple unveiled it, some company introduced a 16 gig flash based memory chip the same size. Which would have been a little more acceptable. It it doesn't have 3G?!?!?!?!?! What the hell was Apple thinking? No 3G holy crap. No over the air downloads. It would be cool if you had iTunes and the iTunes Music Store over the air. Even if you had to pay a premium for each over the air download, it would make the iPhone a little more worth the price. The battery life is supposed to be 5 hours. That sucks. But you can not change the battery yourself. With Apple's history of shitty batteries, this is bad as well. Sure, the device may not be as sexy as it is not if there were a battery door. It has awesome software from what I've seen so far, and it looks like a pretty sexy phone, it screen has super high resolution for its size as well. But will the touch screen be as good as Steve says it is. Like I said, even with all of its downfalls, it is still a really cool phone. But it is not at all worth the price. Unless there is not a price on looking cool. But when all of these short comings become apparent to Apple in sales figures, as well as to AT&T, I think there will be discounts. When you look at the other "smart" phones on the market, all of them have a retail price close to the price of the iPhone, but they are being sold for much less with a 2 year contract. Can we expect to see this with the iPhone? I think so. I think Apple might have a few easter eggs, surprises, extras built into the iPhone as well. It would not be unlike them. I think Apple will have a second generation iPhone sometime soon as well that is finally up to standards and actually worth the price they are asking. The most I think I would pay for one is $399, and it would have to be as god as it is advertised, if not, I would only pay $249. Time will only tell. So we will have to wait and see.


-Ryan

1 comment:

Derek said...

I'd really like to get an Iphone, although the price seems outrageous. At least I can even dream of buying it, unlike the MacBook Pro.