Sunday, July 22, 2007

My Thoughts On Joost, And Internet Television

Joost, is from the makers of Skype and Kazaa. Now we all know how popular those are today. Skype was awesome, wow, voice calls over the internet. Everybody thought this was cool, but how come nobody uses it today? People do voice chat however, just not with Skype. I have used voice chat in instant messengers. Kazaa is a file sharing program. I used Kazaa for about 5 minutes two years ago when I got my Creative Zen Plus. I had more ad-ware than I knew what to do with, and the music searching feature did not even work. I use LimeWire Pro (which I got free by downloading it in LimeWire basic) and iTunes which I use to download all of my songs when I have an iTunes gift card with anything on it. Both of these desktop programs have paved the way to better alternatives. Will Joost survive. Hard to say for sure, but I would say probably not. People do not want to watch TV in web quality video for hours on end in front of their computer. I am not against web video by any means however. I personally would love to buy an Apple TV to watch DL.TV, Cranky Geeks, CNET TV, Edmunds Inside Line Automotive Videos, and more. The thing about video on the web is that there is far more variety, and potential for film makers to get noticed, but also to find quality video that interests you. I remember a show on FOX networks that got canceled after about two episodes. I believe it was DRIVE, and I found it interesting, and exciting, and I enjoyed it. But the masses were not watching, so FOX canceled it. Should I have to give up watching a show I enjoy because other people do not find it interesting? I think that the major broadcasting networks should have hundreds of shows, some on network TV, and MANY more on the Internet. The shows that are not broad casted should be on the Internet for people that ARE interested to watch. I think that Apple had this in mind with the Apple TV, and I think Joost is going to start this transition. We cannot watch the videos that interest us sitting at our computers though, that is taking a step backwards. What we have to do is bring the Internet into the family room. I watched an entire series of British television on Joost, the show was called Fifth Gear. I found this far more interesting that anything I can get from Comcast or Dish Network. But I shouldn't have to watch sitting in front of my computer. I believe that Joost is the start of a revolution, I don't think that it is the answer, but it certainly has the right idea.

-Ryan

No comments: